Saturday, April 30, 2005

Vocal Vocation

I've had an epiphany - I now know what my dream job is, and I'm gonna pursue it like a plains-running feline pursues sweet, juicy antelope. Mmm...antelope. It's not rock-star, it's not energy-weapon wielding hero of the universe. Not even close.

I wanna be a movie trailer voice-over guy.

I just finished perusing a bunch of new movie trailers, as Saturday morning habit often dictates, and found myself overwhelmed at how little this guy has to work, but how much, in all likelihood, he gets paid. You know the guy I'm talking about. I'm pretty sure there's a grand total of 3 guys who do this, but there's that one guy that like 93% of all movies use - he's got this deep, rich voice that's almost a whisper but instead carries force and confidence. I swear he can make anything sound good. If a movie was named "Stained Jockies", he could say it in that luxurious baritone of his and you'd be convinced that all your hopes and dreams for life rest on viewing the theatrical wonder that is "Stained Jockies".

The kicker is that this guy, while he sometimes has 3 whole LINES of dialogue (WHAT? That's overtime, folks - you can't tax the larynical (no way that that's a word) sex that is this voice and not pay through your arse), he often does say 1, 2, or 3 words, depending on how creative or edgy the producers got with the movie title. I mean to say, the entire trailer shows, and during that time this guy was probably drinking $500 a bottle wine from the glass slipper of the last empress of the Ming Dynasty just because he can, and then, near the end, steps up to the mike and utters less syllables than most cheerleaders do in those letter cheers they do, and gets paid.

I'm not money hungry - I'm sure he isn't paid as much as say, some medium sized European countries. I'm lazy hungry. Come on, dude gets paid to speak less than I have to if I want to order lunch. That's sweet. Hey, I wonder if when he orders fast food, he goes up to the counter and is all like "Double Bacon Cheeseburger Combo" in that voice. Bet he gets free cheeseburgers, too.

I'm so taking his job. I'm off to practice my guttural pied-piper routine. Feel free to tell me what YOU'D like to hear the movie voiceover guy say. I have good laugh imagining him saying mundane and ridiculous things. Then again, I'm a lonely guy.

13 Comments:

Blogger Jo said...

"this guy was probably drinking $500 a bottle wine from the glass slipper of the last empress of the Ming Dynasty just because he can"

haha! where do you come up with this stuff?

1:25 p.m.  
Blogger Hooper said...

From dark, scary places, Jo. Also from a mind that doesn't slow down nearly enough, and as a result, has WAY too much time on it's metaphorical hands.

I'll blame society and the media ultimately though - all good spin doctors do.

3:24 p.m.  
Blogger Robin said...

You're my favourite spin doctor, Geoff.

10:22 p.m.  
Blogger theajthomas said...

If you have to much time on your metaphorical hands you must have to work hard to keep from using them to pick you metaphorical cyst.

10:01 a.m.  
Blogger Hooper said...

Honestly, are you TRYING to finish last in the points standings, AJ. I mean, really!

7:44 p.m.  
Blogger Robin said...

Okay, just when is this alleged "point system" going to be revealed? I'm becoming skeptical that there even is such a thing. But if there is... how am I doing?

11:06 p.m.  
Blogger Hooper said...

Minus points for questioning the legitimacy and existence of the points system. The integrity of the system must never be questioned!

11:51 p.m.  
Blogger swITCHFUTgUY said...

ummm....sry i just popped into your server's images directory...you might want to patch that up

7:15 p.m.  
Blogger Jo said...

april 30 - may 10 = 10.5 days without a post. (not that i can talk, but...)

7:35 p.m.  
Blogger Hooper said...

Switch Foot Guy (minus the butchered capitalization and spelling) - trained killers are on their way to destroy you. Also, we don't really care about that server, there's nothing secure on there...I think. If there is, it's not my fault.

Jo - I know, I know. I've got topics, all I need now is the ambition. Sadly, there are no trendy energy drinks which contain this substance.

8:47 p.m.  
Blogger Scottie said...

ya ever try red bull??? it really seems to work on our junior high girls and timmy branscombe to get the energy up until they crash which ain't pretty... by the way, this point system is pure genious... i love it!!!

9:01 p.m.  
Blogger Hooper said...

You know what I got out of that last post?

Tim Branscombe has the constitution and fortitude of a junior high girl.

Actually, he kinda has a similar build as well...

12:40 a.m.  
Blogger Scottie said...

mission accomplished!!!!

6:57 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home