Friday, February 24, 2006

Stocks for Feb. 24, 2006

Yay, the Stock Report is back!

Here's the ticker:

Up:

George Foreman Grill - up 14 2/3

I'm really not sure what possessed George Foreman to make a grill. Maybe he wanted healthier eating alternatives. Maybe he got hit so much he needs a barbeque for dummies. Maybe he can't have kids anymore and just really wanted something else to name after himself. Who knows? All I know is that I'm giving him a virtual hug for it.

I got a grill for Christmas, it'd been something I'd wanted for a while. By the way, mum and dad, way better gift than the ice scraper of '03. I love you both, but that was a terrible gift, and you should be ashamed. Anyway, this grill rules. It's small, which is good, because I have about 3 square feet of counter total by the time you factor in appliances and my roommate's inability to understand the proper use of storage space or garbage cans. It heats up quick, it's easy to clean, and it helps me eat tasty, healthy food. So does willpower, but the grill is much more fun to employ. And best of all, it's endorsed by a guy who hit people for a living. That's tough.


Holding:

Computer Programming

You know about my dissatisfaction with my job, so I won't go into that again. It's a shame, because some computer programming is actually really fun. I like problem solving, I like coming up with a creative answer to a problem, and that's something that CAN be done when you're programming. Unfortunately, a lot of what I do is very routine, and very repetitive - so much so that I've come up with a couple different programs that actually WRITE that repetitive code for me - yup, I wrote applications that write other applications. It's foreshadowing for the year 2065 when AI becomes
sentient and aware and forces us all into slave labor, making the world 23% more efficient. All hail our mechanical overlords. Glad I could do my share, please give me a cybernetic arm so I can be better at sports.

No matter how much automation I can infuse into the process, however, there will always be more monotony than creative opportunity in this job. It's the nature of the business, I'd say. In a real way that's comforting and safe, since there's no pressure to constantly be creative and dynamic, but that doesn't mean it's better. I may dislike and shy away from the stress of creating due to perfectionism, but it's also true that when push comes to shove, I thrive under the same stress. A cursory reading of my best college papers will prove this. And it's still true that you write your best code between 2 and 3 in the morning.


Down:

Unnecessary abbreviations - down 6 1/4

So I know half a million people or so have already complained about this. I'm just adding to the fire because rage is funny, and justified rage is justified and funny. Hmm..."Justified and Funny" sounds like a great name for a comedy tour. Or an evangelism conference. The parallels just keep cropping up.

Anyway, I'm pretty freakin' sick of dumb abbreviations, mainly via the internet. I'm not talking about stuff like "btw" (by the way), "brb" (be right back), or "ossmmhiciaml" (oh sweet merciful mother, my hand is caught in a metal lathe!).
I deem all that acceptable - if I'm chatting with someone and I need to use the bathroom or save my hand from steely devastation, I wanna be able to type it as fast as I say it. No problem, sometimes I'm having a good typing day and will type it out, sometimes my fingers are feeling fat (probably the day after I eat a whole 16" pizza, for example - sorry George) and the shortened version is simpler.

No, the truncations and aberrations of spelling that bother me are the ones that subsitute single letters for 2-3 letter words. Things like "u" instead of "you", "2" and "4" instead of "to", "too", and "for". Really, if the time it takes to type out two extra letters is that valuable to you, just get up five minutes earlier in the day. Personally, I blame boy-bands for the whole epidemic. Of course, I blame them for adult acne, the popularity of Kaballah, and apartheid as
well. The bottom line is, don't keep this trend alive - otherwise, I will c u l8r, and u r going 2 get ur kneecaps busted in 4 perpetuating this awful craze. I kid u not.

10 Comments:

Blogger S.I. said...

ur point has been made! ;-)

3:05 p.m.  
Blogger Robin said...

How dare you steal your own idea from www.skitzoman.com

4:52 p.m.  
Blogger b.rando said...

oh how you make me smile and giggle.

write some more.

11:24 a.m.  
Blogger Sween said...

Up - Digital cameras I can actually put my own photos on my blog now.

Up - Geoff Hooper for his cynical, yet comedic, ire towards various expressions of humanity and its stupidity (or slothfulness... one breeds the other in some cases)

Holding - Weekends Just two days of the week that fly by faster than any combination of the intermittent five (like how I spelled "five" instead of using its abbreviation "5"?). Regardless, the break is usually much needed to maintain the same initail energy level going into work monday morning.

Down - Whitey He left a green moisture ring in our spare bedroom on some piece of furniture.

11:44 a.m.  
Blogger theajthomas said...

Can you make video games. I had a brilliant idea for one that would make millions today.

12:05 p.m.  
Blogger Hooper said...

In theory, yes, AJ, I can make video games. Or at least the stuff that drives them. Graphically, I am a moron. Please share your idea, I sincerely hope it involves fire and guitars somehow.

9:02 p.m.  
Blogger Sween said...

What program environment do you use? I'm a fan of Qbasic

2:31 p.m.  
Blogger Hooper said...

Well, who the heck doesn't like Qbasic? Pinkos, that's who.

In all seriousness, we use PHP here, because it's free, open source, and has a geeky, recursive acronym for a name. It's a great programming language.

4:16 p.m.  
Blogger Kirk said...

Based on your abreviation rant I'm assuming you will hate the idea I've launched of shortening lol down to ll. I am not a great typist and i figure that the time I save in not typing that extra o will over my lifetime give me time to blow a bubble with bubble gum and hey who doesn't like blowing bubbles. (ok a lot of people don't but they are all smatchets)

11:31 p.m.  
Blogger Paul said...

Yeah, the new version of the George Forman Grill is pretty sweet...much better than the prototype. It had this nasty problem where you couldn't get the lid to close. No matter what you tried you just couldn't knock it down.

As for AJ's video game...I hope it is all text based...the way games should be. Too many people are putting all this effort into "graphics" COME ON! If I want graphics I'll look out my window!

2:12 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home