Friday, March 03, 2006

It's Hard to Stay in Shape when Physics Hates Me

So I'm sitting in my computer chair at home, leg propped up on my bed, absent from work. Why you ask? Last night, playing basketball, I managed to get hurt. This should not surprise anyone, since I also manage to hurt myself doing things like playing pool, sitting at a desk, and eating. This, however, is worse. I went up for a shot in the lane, and came down on someone's foot. The ankle went over, and there was a positively GORGEOUS tearing sound, not unlike paper being ripped in two. Oh yeah, and then it hurt like a kick in the balls from a donkey on fire for about half an hour.

This morning, my foot looks kinda like a balloon animal. A big, disgusting, diseased balloon animal. I'd take pics and post 'em, but my digital camera wire has been AWOL for a few months now, and despite efforts to replace it, it seems I had the only cable in existence capable of fitting my camera's port. Anywway, it suffices to say that around the ball of my ankle and the top of my foot, I've got some severe swelling and some colorful bruising. It's sorta like art. HEY! I'm gonna start that, a new art form - injury art. "The swelling around the joint represents man's struggle with utilitarian society." I will yet be rich.

As I mentioned, I am somewhat injury prone. This is making it increasingly frustrating to try and get in shape as I get older. Last summer, it was my bike accident (I DO have pics of that stored on the computer, for anyone who wants to see - I think the raw skin on my palms really captures the essence of nature vs. industry). I'd just gotten that bike, was having fun and getting good exercise, and then boom, no use of my hands for a week, and no real hard activity for a month and a half. About a month and a half ago, again at basketball, I got smoked in the head by an elbow, split it open, and received 9 stitches for my trouble, also cutting my night pitifully short in the exercise department. Despite stretching and warming up, back while I was lifting weights, I would often pull something, seemingly out of no real effort.

I would like very much not to grow old and get fat. It appears first, however, the laws of Physics and I will have to duel - an epic death match sure to produce great works of art that will be appreciated down through the ages.

11 Comments:

Blogger S.I. said...

Now that we know that you want to be fat when you're old, you can count all the ladies out:-)

10:11 a.m.  
Blogger Hooper said...

I said I DON'T want to be. DON'T. I am going to give you SUCH an art-injury.

11:25 a.m.  
Blogger Nata said...

You see where this is going, don't you? If you lived in Saint John, Paul and I would be able to take care of you in your sorry state.

I think the time has come, Geoff. Make the right choice.

:)

11:46 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"like a kick in the balls from a donkey on fire"

I believe we can use this adverbial phrase to describe more things than just ankle injuries. For instance, the other day when Jer hit his head on a pipe under the house, it probably hurt like a kick in the balls from a donkey on fire. And when I realized there was a crack in my iBook shell, my heart hurt like a kick in the balls from a donkey on fire. If someone were to watch me doing DDR in Paul and Nata's living room, they would laugh a lot and then their heads would hurt like a kick in the balls from a donkey on fire.

See where I'm going with this?

12:42 p.m.  
Blogger Jo said...

[laughing][still laughing] I LOVE the idea of injury art!! absolutely love it. i'm sorry for your sufferings, though. bummer. but hey, at least you get out of work.

7:57 p.m.  
Blogger S.I. said...

What's a DDR? Do I want to know?

10:31 p.m.  
Blogger S.I. said...

Hey, I may not be strong, but playing the violin has given me strong hands!!! I'll...SQUEEZE YOUR FOOT!!!

10:32 p.m.  
Blogger theajthomas said...

Ok I've heard of paranoid but if you beleive that the very laws on nature are personally out to get you I think you only have 5 reasonable options:
1 Up your dosage
2 Kill yourself
3 Sit around and wait for physics to kill you
4 Decide to defy the laws of physics and probably end of killing yourself
5 Try to identify if there are specific laws of physics which are out to get you and go whre they can never find you. Like if it's gravity then go to space. Which answers your earlier dilema - become an astronaught.

11:53 a.m.  
Blogger Robin said...

Obviously, Hoop, you should just talk to Dr. Paul.

3:30 p.m.  
Blogger Robin said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

3:30 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful and informative web site. I used information from that site its great. baccarat green parrot enterprise rental car cumming georgia Hummer h2 problems how effective is generic tenuate Www didrex diet pill Credit rating scores meaning of bentley Lake hefner golf course effexor online Ritalin+patch International calls to iran cheap prices Rose head Pervert sex mpegs lesbian

3:46 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home